Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reflecting on My Culture continued...

Being an African American woman who is an educator, I feel an awesome sense of responsibility. I am one of the few African American teachers in a school that is predominately impoverished African Americans. I must constantly be aware of the way I present myself to my students. I try my hardest to lead by example and to teach them that they way they are raised does not have to define them. I want them to know that they can accomplish anything they set their minds too. They can be who they want to be and do what they want to do once they leave high school I have been told by former students that I inspired them to do positive things in their lives. That to me makes being an educator worth every single struggle that I've encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment