Monday, July 6, 2009

Behaviorism in the Classroom

Behaviorism is a powerful instructional theory that has been used for ages and still has a place in today's classroom. Personally, I have found Behaviorism useful in my classroom when disciplining my students. I use behavior contracts and reward them for their positive behaviors. I have also used the technique of cueing in the past with some of my more troubled students by "providing either verbal or non verbal clues as to the appropriateness of a behavior" (Orey, 2001). Also, I am a firm believer that "behaviors can be unlearned and replaced with new behaviors" (Orey, 2001). High school students are not exempt from this rule. Many of my peers believe that by the time they are teenagers, their behaviors cannot be changed. I disagree with them because I have witnessed it on many occasions. The majority of our students have never had a positive role model to follow. I try to be that for my students. I act in a manner that they should follow.
Instructionally, I use drill and practice when teaching new skills such as grammar and vocabulary terms. Technology offers many resources for behaviorist instruction. There are many software programs that offer tutorials for any subject that allows students to practice what is being taught in the classroom. These tutorials offer students a way to be instructed that is far more interesting to them than me lecturing them in the classroom.

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/








2 comments:

  1. I did not mention behavior contracts in my post, but you are certainly right to mention them. They are one of the most effective components of Behaviorist learning theory. I think any child is capable of making a change. "Behaviorists believe that all behavior is learned and can also be unlearned and replaced by new behaviors" (Orey, 2001). I really do not buy into the thought that you "cannot teach an old dog new tricks". If someone is motivated enough to believe that they can accomplish something, they will make the changes necessary to make it happen.

    REFERENCES
    Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too use behavior contracts with my students. I teach emotionally disabled students who really struggle with behavior. They have a daily checklist that goes home each day to be signed. It allows them to see each period how they are doing. Then the points they earn go into an account book and they can spend their points on activities in the classroom such as games during lunch, extra computer time, or Fun Friday. I also teach teenagers (middle school) and this works. I have to change up the rewards from time to time to keep them interested but I have not had any trouble with this in the few years I have used it.

    ReplyDelete